…or things I learned over the last few weeks.
Greetings Programs! First, I must apologize, comics are coming soon, and I am sorry that I fell behind. I have been tested the last few weeks. I would like to think I have done well with these tests, but no, I don’t think so, you might, but I don’t.
I have had a series of life changing events that make one think. Think about the past, present, and future. Before I spout off with a random negative comment, let’s recap a little…
During the middle of March, I went on a long weekend in the woods with my special lady. During that time I got news that one of my best friends died. He had been fighting cancer for over a year, so, this was not a surprise, but still, there was always a chance. At least, I was hoping there was. I had known this dude for over 10 years, we were roommates while I was in college. We had good times and bad times. We reconnected about 3 years ago and it was like the old days-via internet and cell phones.
Fast forward to last week, I find out a close family member has stage 4 cancer. ‘It’s going to happen fast, you should try and get down here (Texas) soon.’ I fly down (from Ohio) 4 days later. He is already getting morphine every 2 hours. He’s asleep and most likely will never wake up. When I go to see him, they say he can hear me, so I talk to him. He fought for another week. He passed away this morning.
I can’t tell you much. All I can tell you is what I have learned in the last few weeks and during my trip to Texas, and here it is…
1. Texas is home. I’m like effin’ Dracula, I need to sleep in my own soil to recharge my supernatural powers.
2. Good or bad, family is family and family is important. That being said, see No. 3.
3. Some family will never change. They might be self destructive, they might talk about you behind your back, and they might destroy everything they touch with their own whacked out list of priorities, but they are still your family. Be good to them.
4. Love your friends. Tell them.
5. ‘What works for you, might not work for me.’ So, don’t push it on me. I am going to let you decide what I am talking about here, because, chances are, you know what I’m talking about.
6. Do what you love. Don’t let anyone or anything get in your way of that.
7. If you have to wear flip flops, don’t wear the kind with that cost over $60 and are encrusted with fake jewels.
8. AirTran Airways sucks. They called me canceling my flight less than 2 hours before take off. Then they delay my flight the next day. I realize you get what you pay for, but, damn.
9. Just because you have a natural talent, doesn’t mean you can skip school. Art and music. I’m not going to play nice with this one, which leads me to No. 10.
10. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
I am sure I have a few more, so this list will most likely be updated. I have been listening to the song ‘Sing Your Life’ by Morrissey. I think it’s a great song for a new outlook on a life that hasn’t really been living so far. New outlook and all that crap. Go and listen, it’s not for everyone, but I think the message is…